Last minute holidays in Western Sicily: what to do and where to sleep
This article will help show you how to organize the perfect lastminute holidays in Western Sicily because there is nothing better than a well-deserved vacation to unwind a bit and get away from the usual routine! If you were unable to organize yourself in time this year, don’t worry: in Sicily summer lasts all year round.
Whether you go on vacation in August or prefer September, imagine relaxing on a dream beach to the sound of the waves gently lapping the shoreline. And then, taking a walk through the streets of cities filled with centuries of history or immersing yourself in the midst of pure and unspoilt nature.
Regardless of how much time you have available, in Western Sicily you’ll experience a complete journey, finding everything you want within just a few kilometres!
Continue reading to find out the best itineraries aimed at discovering the island in two, four or five days:
How to organize last minute holidays in Western Sicily
Whatever means you decide to adopt, reaching the Western Sicily is much simpler than you can imagine. You can get to this part of the Island by car, ship, train or by plane, via the Trapani-Birgi “Vincenzo Florio” airport with low cost flights from all over Europe.
Once you arrive at your destination you can easily move around by car, along the coastal roads or explore the hinterland, and you can also comfortably reach the Egadi islands or Pantelleria as well, thanks to the numerous ferries departing from the port of Trapani.
Now that you know how to reach Sicily and how easy it is to get around, it’s time to plan your itinerary!
Weekend: 2 days in Sicily
Sicily’s western territory is so rich in naturalistic and cultural destinations and food and wine traditions that you will be able to enjoy a fantastic holiday even in just a weekend.
Wondering what you can explore in just 2 days?
Here’s an itinerary where nothing is left out: cities of art, sea, nature and, of course good food:
- Trapani – The provincial capital is the perfect place for a stroll to discover museums, churches and buildings that enrich the historic centre. There are also some inestimable naturalistic beauties, such as the charming golden sand beaches and the Salt pans in Trapani and Paceco: here, a visit at sunset is an absolute must!
- Custonaci – A small jewel located between the sea and the mountains, where you can take a dip in the crystal clear waters of the Cornino bay and visit the Grotta Mangiapane Living Museum, on the slopes of Monte Cofano, not far from the Monte Cofano reserve.
- San Vito Lo Capo – Its beach needs no introduction. It is one of the most beautiful in Europe, with roughly 3 km of fine sand and a crystal clear sea ideal also for children. If you find yourself in this area in September, don’t miss the Cous CousFest, the international festival dedicated to the famous Mediterranean dish.
- Erice – Located on the Erice Mountain, this medieval city seems to come to life from a postcard. To get there, use the cable car for an even greater and suggestive experience. Once there, explore the alleys that lead to the top, from which the majestic Castello di Venere stands out.
Shall we discuss food and wine?
During your visit you absolutely must try the “pizza rianata” and the “busiate” (a pasta shape that is typical of the area) seasoned with “pesto Trapani style”.
Another must taste is the “cunzato bread” found in the stretch from Castellammare del Golfo and Scopello! Simple and sublime, it’s perfect for a quick lunch during a stopover.
If two days aren’t enough and you’d like to get to know this exceptional territory better, well, don’t stop here! Read on to find out what else is in store for your last minute holidays in Western Sicily.
Spending 4 days in Trapani and its province
After relaxing by the sea, having thoroughly explored the artistic beauties and after having indulged your senses by the landscapes at sunset, if you can stay for 4 days in the province of Trapani, you’ll discover that there is still a lot more to explore. Take note of these valuable tips for your last minute vacation:
- If you are a history and archaeology enthusiast, fill your eyes with wonder by visiting the Archaeological Park in Segesta. And don’t miss the opportunity to visit the sensational temples at the Archaeological Park in Selinunte.
- Not far from Selinunte is Mazara del Vallo, famous for the Satiro danzante, a bronze statue from the Greek era found in the sea and now kept in the homonymous museum. Once you’re in the city, discover the Medina (the Islamic district) and enjoy an afternoon at one of its beautiful beaches.
- Finally, if you’d like to find an oasis of peace and absolute relaxation, we suggest you visit (and stay in!) the hinterland, surrounded by the wonderful countryside, in search of the numerous Slow Food products that are typical of the area. Paceco, Buseto Palizzolo, Salemi : you’ll be spoiled for choice!
At this point of the holiday, the desire to stay in Sicily will be irresistible. We’ve all been through it, sooner or later! Why then, not stay on one last day?
We kept a real gem for the end, the icing on the cake of your last minute holidays in Western Sicily!
What to do and where to sleep in 5 days in Western Sicily
If you have one more day available or if you are looking for an alternative idea for your 5-day holiday in Sicily, you must take the opportunity to visit the Egadi Islands!
In order to discover the archipelago, in fact, you can take a one day excursion thanks to the various “mini cruises” available.
But, we must say, the Egadi Islands deserve to be visited as a separate trip. Favignana with its beaches and bays, a paradise of blue sea and historic buildings. Levanzo, with its Underwater Itinerary and the Grotta del Genovese. And Marettimo, full of paths in which to explore the rugged, untamed nature.
Did we make you want to pack your suitcase and leave right away?
We know that the most complicated aspect of organizing a last minute vacation is booking accommodation that suits your needs.
Well, the problem is quickly solved: our portal has a convenient discount coupon of 10% for your stay. To get your discount coupon, just browse the section dedicated to accommodation facilities that are partners of West of Sicily and choose your favourite one.After filling out the form, you will receive the discount coupon conveniently by email.
Book the vacation of your dreams and let yourself be conquered by Western Sicily, even in September!