This imposing structure outside the walls, situated on a rocky spur, dates back to the 17th century, when it was destined to host a garrison of Spanish soldiers free of charge by virtue of the so-called “posata” obligation.
In fact, during the Spanish domination in Sicily all the cities had to comply with this obligation, specifically, the ericini taxed themselves to build a fort at their own expense, behind the church of St. Anthony, which served to accommodate the military.
The structure, however, was never completed, due to the interruption of work in 1632, and today is a place full of charm, from which to enjoy a magnificent view of the landscape. In the first five years of the 2000s the ancient fortress was the subject of a significant restoration and now houses the ethno-anthropological section of the Museum Pole “A. Cordici”.
– Full price single € 4,00
– Full integrated € 12,00
– Reduced single ticket € 2,00
– Reduced integrated € 6,00
Other ideas for your trip
- Not to be missed
- Castles and Historic Buildings