A magnificent testimony of industrial archaeology transformed into a multipurpose museum.
Built with the local tuff, the former tuna factory of Favignana is an elegant nineteenth-century complex of industrial archeology that overlooks the port.
This tuna factory, built in 1859 and greatly enlarged since 1878, was owned by the famous Florio family, whose dynasty was started by Vincenzo Florio senior (1799-1886), a brilliant businessman transplanted in Palermo who had made his fortune thanks to maritime expeditions and the production of sulfur and Marsala wine.
Vincenzo Florio was also responsible for the invention of a new steam cooking process for the preservation of canned tuna, revolutionizing the fishing industry and consolidating the success of his family. Its vast rooms, in operation until 1977, show all the phases of tuna procurement and processing: the shelters for the ready boats, the terrace where the tuna was hung to dry, the cooking battery and the large red brick fireplaces and, finally, the large atrium with the original counters where the fish was canned.
Today the factory is a museum of its own history, as it contains the history of tuna fishing and the community of tuna fishermen, illustrating the history of the tuna industry in the archipelago, but also – through incisive films – the traditions of tuna fishing in the area of Favignana.
Temporary exhibitions of contemporary art, always dedicated to a theme linked to the fishing tradition or to the environment, complete the permanent exhibition. Inside the establishment there is also an antiquarium with artifacts found in the Egadi archipelago and a very important reconstruction of the battle of the Egadi, with the annexed findings, which allow us to enter the Great History of the Mediterranean.
Full/reduced tickets €6/3
Optional one-hour guided tours are included in the ticket price.
Tel. 324 5631991
Via Amendola, 29 – Favignana
Other ideas for your trip
- Not to be missed