The building that will host the Diocesan Museum is a collection of different eras and styles: in the Byzantine era it was a temple of Greek rite, the work of Belisarius, the general of Emperor Constantine, in the fourteenth century, in the age of Chiaramont, became a place of worship dedicated to St. Nicholas, with an important chapel dedicated to this saint.
However, it is the eighteenth-century phase that is the most representative of the present building, shaped by the project of the architect Giovanni Biagio Amico: the prospectus is simply enriched by a flight of steps placed under the portal; the lateral one, more interesting, is framed by the trabeation composed by two marble columns and a broken tympanum within which there is a niche.
The Latin cross plant has three naves, divided by pillars, with chapels on the sides; among its treasures, there is a sixteenth-century marble triptych depicting the Ascension between Saints Peter and Nicholas, by Antonino Gagini (1560), and a sculptural group in “wood, canvas and glue”, depicting Christ among the two thieves (XVIII century), representative works of both the system of commissions of works of art for buildings of worship, and of the artistic craftsmanship of Trapani.
Via Barone Sieri Pepoli
Accessibility: it presents architectural barriers
Other ideas for your trip
- Not to be missed
- Churches and Monuments