Originally a Norman chapel, presumably built in 1102, the entire history of the Cathedral is intertwined with the prestigious history of this city, being attached to the Consulate of the Republic of Genoa, a city devoted to St. George. In 1434 the church, according to the Aragonese topographic subdivision, became part of the San Lorenzo district, changing the dedication to the saint.
However, the cathedral in its present appearance is due to the plant of the seventeenth century and the project of 1748 by Giovanni Biagio Amico; despite the many changes, today it presents a baroque facade preceded by a loggia.
The interior, with three naves, is decorated with neoclassical stuccoes by Girolamo Rizzo and Onofrio Noto and with frescoes on the vault by Vincenzo Manno. The church houses masterpieces such as a Crucifixion, by an unknown Flemish painter, and a dead Christ in stone so-called “incarnate” by Giacomo Tartaglio (XVIII century).
Corso Vittorio Emanuele
Accessible to disabled people
Other ideas for your trip
- Not to be missed
- Churches and Monuments